I am a student or Employee at ESU. How do I configure my computer to access the secure ESU Wireless Network on my computer with Windows 8?
For instructions on how to configure your computer to connect to the secure ESU Wireless Network in Windows 8 click here: Windows 8 Wireless Instructions or follow the steps below:
1) From the Windows 8 Tile welcome screen, click on the "Desktop" icon to bring up the Desktop view for the computer. (If your computer is configured to boot up directly to the desktop screen then skip to step 2)
2) Look in the lower right hand corner of the Desktop screen and you will find the network icon that looks like Wireless Signal Strength indicator or like a little computer monitor. Right Click on that Icon and select "Open Network and Sharing Center" from the menu that comes up.
3) From the Network and Sharing Center window click on the "Set up a new connection or Network" icon.
4) From the "Set up a connection or Network Window" click the "Manually connect to a wireless network" icon (1) then click the "Next"(2).
5) On the "Manually connect to a wireless network" screen type ESU in all capital letters in the "Network name" field (1). Then select WPA2-Enterprise from the "Security type" drop down box (2). Then select AES from the "Encryption type" drop down box (3) and make sure a check mark appears in the box next to "Start this connection automatically"(4). Finally click next at the bottom of the window (5).
6) You should see the ESU connection was successfully added. Click "Change connection settings" to continue.
7) From the "ESU Wireless Network Properties" Window click on the security tab in the upper left hand corner (1). Then select Microsoft Protected EAP in the"Choose a network authentication method" drop down box if it is not already (2). Also place a check mark in the box next to “Remember my credentials…” check box if there isn’t one there (3). Finally click the "Settings" button (4).
8) On the "Protected EAP Properties" window remove the check mark next to "Verify the server's identity …" (1) and also remove the check mark next to "Enable Fast Reconnect" (2). Now select "Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)" if it isn’t already selected in the "Select Authentication Method" drop down box (3). Finally click the "Configure..." button (4).
9) From the "EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties" window remove the check mark next to “Automatically use my Windows logon name…" if there is one present (1) and click “OK“ (2).
10) Click “OK” at the bottom of the "Protected EAP Properties" window.
11) From the "ESU Wireless Network Properties" window click the "Advanced settings" button in the lower left corner of the screen.
12) On the "Advanced settings" screen, under the 802.1x tab, place a check mark in the box next to "Specify authentication mode" (1) then select "User authentication" from the drop down menu directly below the check mark box (2). Now click the "Save credentials" button (4).
13) On the "Windows Security" screen, enter your BuzzIn user name and password into the appropriate fields then click the "OK”.
14) This takes you back to the "Advanced settings" window and you can click the "OK" button at the bottom of the screen.
15) This returns you to the "ESU Wireless Network Properties" window and you can click the "OK" button at the bottom of the screen.
16) You should now return to the "Manually connect to a wireless network" screen where you can click the "Close" button at the bottom of the window.
17) You will now be back on the Desktop screen and should click on the network icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen and then choose "ESU" out of the list of available networks. Now click to check the box marked “connect automatically” then click the “Connect” button to connect to the ESU Wireless network.
You should now be connected to the ESU Wireless Network. If you require further assistance, please contact the IT Help Desk at 620-341-5555.